The Clarity of Morning

 For years, I've been a runner. Then I took a few years off to let my body rest. There were some stressors in my life and health issues, so I put the running on the back burner and substituted walking instead. Less stress on the body, all good. It helped a great deal.

This also means, conversely, that there were years when I wasn't running even if I called myself a runner. And yet, I still -- though I don't particularly like running, because let's be honest: it hurts! -- yearned to get back out on the pavement.

Even if running is painful, which it is, and your heart is racing out of your chest, and your legs ache, and you think you're going to die (which you won't - that's just an out-of-shape body telling you things you don't need to listen to), there is something about getting up early, when it's still dark and perhaps cold out (or hot), and getting out into nature that clears the head.

Most importantly, I've noticed that running, and the clarity it gives me, simplifies my life. How? Well, it's almost like running powers on my own AI, and by the time I get home from the run, I know exactly what to do, what not to do, what to eliminate from the day, and how to tackle my to-do list. This also works with an early-morning brisk walk, too. It's the same.

It even works on brains that don't want to fall asleep. The last few years, due to aging, my sleep and the ability to even fall asleep have been very hit or miss. Mostly miss. But even if I don't get up to run on those no-sleep nights, taking a morning walk still does the job of clearing my head and pushing away the cobwebs.

Here's what I've realized after nearly 15 years of (on and off) running (and walking) in the early morning:

1. We solve problems overnight - That's the wonderful thing about our brains. When we fall asleep (that's a big "if" for some of us, I know...), it's already subconsciously working on the problems we have. It finds a way to solve our issues, make connections, let our logical side fall away, and find new and creative ways to figure things out. It's remarkable. It's like your brain accessed your own personal file system, found the past ways you fixed and didn't fix things, and rerouted you to a better path.

2. Thankful to be alive - Every morning I wake up, it's a chance to thank God that I'm still here. Hey, I'm here another day! And it's up to me to treat it like a gift, as well as to be thankful for everything that happens in it. We don't know how long the breath in our lungs will remain... we all have a different timeline. But being grateful for the morning sky, the loud hawk insisting he tell us good morning, the way the clouds look like cotton candy as the sun rises- they're small but big things that remind me of how alive I am and how blessed I am. Thankfulness leads to joy.

3. It humbles me - Waking up early and groggy, I stumble out of bed, into my running clothes, and hit the pavement outside my door. Even if I stumble into a walk, there's something about feeling weak and tired that puts humility into me, reminding me how fragile I am. The beautiful morning around me is ten times more appealing than my bedhead and wrinkled face that had been crammed into the pillow. I'm nothing compared to the sunrise I'm witnessing! Beautiful mornings humble me.

It's a simple thing, this morning run or walk. But it has set the day for me for years, and it's been a testament to the slow living lifestyle I want to stay in. If you're looking to add a little more clarity and peace into your life, I'd recommend the early morning walk or run. 

Before everyone else is up, before you can logically think through it and tell yourself it's too early, set that alarm, and as the birds have already begun their morning chatter, you can begin your own chatter... to God, to yourself, to the birds, and to directing your life the way it needs to go with solved problems, thankfulness, and humility. 

In my opinion, this small act can change everything about your life.


1 comment:

  1. My goodness, this is so true! Early morning runs clear the cobwebs.

    ReplyDelete