And while it would be easy to add a dog to our lives today, my husband and I have opted not to, in order to simplify our lives.
Do I like this? Not really.
But is it the right thing? For now, yes.
Perhaps one day we will choose to get another dog (hopefully sooner rather than later), but for today I keep her memory alive through my actions at home.
Her old collar hangs on a hook in our laundry room before the garage door. It's a reminder of her and every walk we took with her. We would first spell out the word walk to each other, W A L K (because that was a word she knew well), to decide if we were going for one. Then, once we did, we went to the laundry room to grab her collar and leash (with her leaping in excitement alongside us) and head out the door, with her leading the way.
![]() |
| Get book here. ◄ |
I also write about her. I've written blog posts and articles about her. And the Chicken Soup for the Soul book series has already printed (I think) two stories about her by me.
Well, they're coming out with another dog book, and wouldn't you know it, they picked another story about my pup. Their latest release is called Chicken Soup for the Soul: Best Dog Ever, and its on-sale date is today.
My sweet girl, Sierra, was one of the best dogs to me, so I continue to write about her because it's all I have, and it's a great way to remember her. This story is about how I snuck her onto my bed to rest with me while I read (when my husband was at work). My husband always told me not to let her on the bed. (Except I did, and then accidentally sent a picture of her on said bed to my husband. Oops.)
It's a funny story, but also sweet, and as she aged, her way of wanting to be right next to me made me feel happy, content, and taken care of. She was my sweet girl.
(Also, I did the math, and I think this is my tenth story with Chicken Soup! That sure happened fast.)
So, do you have a pet like that? Do you have one you miss but is still alive in your heart? All you want is for others to know how wonderful they were, how they helped you thrive, and how much joy they brought.
I think keeping our pet memories alive is a wonderful thing, and judging by my writing schedule, I will probably continue to write about my dog for the foreseeable future. It brings me much happiness. Hooray for our wonderful pets! ♥



No comments:
Post a Comment